Stews and lentils are a staple in Moroccan homes. This Moroccan Lentil, Pumkin & Carrot stew is the perfect hearty meal for the family. I love it served with cauliflower or broccoli rice. Otherwise brown rice is perfect. It is gluten free, dairy free and full of nutrients.
Moroccan Lentil & Carrot Stew
- 1 1/2 cups brown or green lentils (I used the tin lentils)
- 4 cups water
- 2 medium onions, roughly chopped
- 3 large, ripe tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 5 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp FS Moroccan Seasoning
- 1kg of pumpkin or sweet potato. Peeled and chopped into 2 cm squares
- 5 carrots
- chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
- In a pot add onion, garlic, tomatoes, FS Moroccan spices and the water. Bring to a boil and reduce the heat to simmer for 40 - 50 minutes.
- Meanwhile prep the lentils, rince and drain. Chop the carrots and pumpkins into 2cm chunks. Set aside.
- After 40 - 50 minutes check the stew. There should still be water in the mixture, add the lentils, pumpkin and carrots to the stew. If no water add another cup. Cook for a further 15 - 20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and vegetables are cooked.
- Top with parsley and serve on a bead or rice of your choice.